You will impress any party-goers if you make these 50 adorable Christmas cupcake recipes. These cupcakes make look complicated, but most are very simple to create and they are also fun for kids to help make.
CHRISTMAS CUPCAKE SHORTCUT
One of the easiest shortcuts, when you are making decorated cupcakes, is to buy plain cupcakes from the bakery.
I know that homemade cupcakes are probably a little tastier, but isn’t it the frosting that people care the most about? 🙂
The holiday season is the busiest season of the year and it can save a LOT of time to just buy the plain cupcakes. They aren’t very costly if they are unfrosted.
There are a few recipes below that will require a homemade cupcake because the cupcake portion is extra special. The ones that call for just a vanilla cupcake…definitely skip the baking for those!
TYPES OF FROSTING FOR CUPCAKES
There are so many different types of frostings these days. I am amazed at the creativity of bakers.
There are some basic frostings that are commonly used for cupcakes and many of these adorable Christmas cupcake recipes use these types.
- Buttercream frosting is one of the most common cake frostings. There are several different ways to make buttercream frosting but most varieties start with a base of butter and sugar.
- Ganache is one of my favorites and it is decadent. It starts out in a liquid state and is like a glaze, but will firm up as it sits.
- Fondant is typically used for cake decorating, but I am seeing more and more fancy cupcakes made with fondant. It works great for making shapes to put on top of the cupcakes.
- Marizpan frosting brings a definite elegance to any cake or cupcake.
- Royal Icing works well for creating designs on cupcakes and it dries hard. Royal icing is typically used in cookie decorating.
- Whipped Cream Frosting is a favorite of many of my family members. It is fluffy and delicious.
CHRISTMAS CUPCAKE EMBELLISHMENTS
There are so many easy ways to decorate a Christmas cupcake even if you are not a skilled baker.
Cupcake embellishments are available in almost all craft stores and you can find anything online now. Frost a cupcake with red or green frosting and add some adorable decorations to the top and you have a great Christmas dessert.
Here are some really fun ideas:
- Cupcake picks are simple to stick into the top of a frosted cupcake and come in every style imaginable.
- Edible glitter can transform any boring cupcake into something beautiful.
- Royal icing edible holly berries are a simple way to decorate a cupcake.
- I love these vintage red truck cupcake picks for a rustic look.
HOW TO DISPLAY CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES
Once you have made your sweet cupcakes you will want to display them and show them off. I know some of these are too cute to eat!!
I love using a traditional cupcake stand for my cupcakes. The tiers make it easy for people to grab a cupcake without touching the other cupcakes.
There are other fun ways to display your creations. Check these out:
- Whitewashed wood stair shelf would look so cute with Christmas cupcakes.
- A 3 tier rectangular serving platter can be used year-round for so many different foods.
- This honeycomb cupcake stand is so unique and adorable.
ADORABLE AND EASY CHRISTMAS CUPCAKE IDEAS
It will be hard to decide which of these fun cupcake ideas to make this year. You might want to make a different recipe each week during the holidays!
Don’t forget to PIN these cupcakes so you can come back and make more later.