This traditional sweet potato casserole with marshmallows is a comfort food that belongs on your Thanksgiving and Christmas table. Very easy to follow recipe that the whole family will look forward to eating.
- HISTORY OF SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- HOW TO MAKE A SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS – Step by Step Instructions & Photos
- SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS RECIPE
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
HISTORY OF SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Sweet potato casserole has been around a long time. It is said that the first sweet potato casserole was create all the way back in 1917.
The original recipe came out in a recipe booklet published by Angelus Marshmallow Company. What a great way to sell more marshmallows.
There are many variations of a sweet potato side dish for holiday meals.
Most are a “sweet” side dish that includes the warm, delicious flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg.
INGREDIENTS FOR SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
Traditional recipes are some of my favorite because they take us back in time to our childhood. I think this recipe will remind you of simpler times.
- Sweet potatoes
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
- Brown sugar
- Mini marshmallows
HOW TO MAKE A SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS – Step by Step Instructions & Photos
The addition of mini marshmallows is what makes this sweet potato casserole so good. Some people don’t care for the marshmallows though and so you could always leave them off a portion of the casserole.
STEP ONE: BOIL POTATOES
The first step is to peel and cut the sweet potatoes into chunks.
Place the sweet potato chunks into a large pot and add water until the potatoes are covered.
Place the pot on the stove on high heat and bring it to a boil. Let the potatoes boil for 10-15 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.
STEP TWO: DRAIN
Once the potatoes are tender, drain all the water out of the pot.
Return the potatoes to the pot and remove it from the heat.
STEP THREE: MAKE MIXTURE
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Add the eggs, heavy cream, vanilla, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg to the sweet potatoes.
Use a mixer to beat these ingredients together until they are completely combined and smooth.
Spoon this sweet potato mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
STEP FOUR: ADD MARSHMALLOWS
Sprinkle the mini marshmallows all over the top of the sweet potato mixture.
STEP FIVE: BAKE
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the marshmallows are lightly browned.
Keep the leftover sweet potato casserole with marshmallows covered in the refrigerator. I do not recommend freezing this recipe.
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS RECIPE
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this delicious twice baked sweet potato casserole via the recipe card below.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows
- 6 medium-sized sweet potatoes approximately 4lb
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Peel and coarsely chop the sweet potatoes.
- Place in a large stockpot and cover with water.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes until fork tender.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Drain the water off the potatoes, then add in the heavy cream, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Beat with an electric mixer until completely combined.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish.
- Top with mini marshmallows and bake until the marshmallows are browned about 15-20 minutes.
If you loved this Christmas dinner recipe be sure to check out these other great recipes to make your holiday dinner special: