Your holiday table will shine when you serve this easy twice baked sweet potato casserole. It has bacon, pecans and so much flavor that there won’t be any leftovers. Serve this for Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner and you will get requests for this holiday side dish every year.
WHAT IS A TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE?
Not everyone has had the pleasure of eating a twice baked sweet potato casserole or any other twice baked casserole. Once you have tried one you will be impressed.
The term “twice-baked” is usually referring to potatoes, either white potatoes or sweet potatoes. The process for making these dishes includes cooking the potatoes first and then using the potato in another way that also involves more cook time.
Twice baked potatoes are a common dish. The potatoes are baked and then the insides scooped out. The inside potato is then mashed and other ingredients are added to it. The mixture is put back into the potato skin and it is all baked again. The results are delicious.
A twice baked sweet potato casserole includes cooking the sweet potatoes and then mashing them and turning it all into a casserole that is baked in the oven.
DO I USE YAMS OR SWEET POTATOES?
This recipe uses sweet potatoes and not yams. There is a difference between these root vegetables.
Sweet potatoes have a sweeter flesh and work best in this recipe. Yams are more like yucca with white flesh that isn’t sweet.
When you are picking out sweet potatoes be sure to get orange sweet potatoes for this recipe.
WHY MAKE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE?
I am a huge fan of casseroles in general and am always excited to make one. When it comes to holiday meals making a sweet potato casserole can actually make the meal prep easier for you.
- You can make the twice baked sweet potato casserole ahead of time and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- The casserole will serve 12 people!
- If you are feeding a crowd it is easy to double or triple the recipe.
- The leftovers are simple to reheat in the same pan.
This recipe combines the best sweet and savory flavors. It will become a staple on your Christmas table.
- Sweet potatoes, scrubbed and pierced
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Sour cream
- Chopped pecans
HOW TO MAKE A TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
This sweet potato casserole is worth the effort because the creamy flavorful mixture is out of this world yummy!
STEP ONE: BAKE SWEET POTATOES
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Scrub the sweet potatoes clean and pierce them with a fork or knife.
Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake the sweet potatoes for approximately and hour and a half or until the potatoes are tender and cooked through.
Allow the potatoes to cool so you can handle them without getting burned!
Once the potatoes are cool, peel the sweet potatoes and place the pulp into a large bowl.
STEP TWO: SWEET POTATO MIXTURE
Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher.
Add the cooked, chopped bacon (reserve 2 tablespoons), sour cream, 1/4 cup softened butter, salt and pepper to the bowl and stir to combine the ingredients well.
You can spread the mixture in the baking dish in one layer or you can make this holiday side dish a little fancier! Use a large ice cream scoop to scoop the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish in even rows.
STEP THREE: ADD TOPPINGS
In a small bowl, combine the panko breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon of melted butter.
Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the baking dish.
Then sprinkle the remaining bacon pieces and chopped pecans over the top.
STEP FOUR: BAKE
Place the baking dish in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is heated through and the bread crumbs are lightly browned.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS SAVORY SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
The options are endless when it comes to what would go well with a savory twice baked sweet potato casserole with bacon! There are the usual holiday staples like roast turkey and glazed carrots.
Here are some more recipes that will make your Christmas dinner a smashing success:
- Easy Cranberry Sausage Stuffing adds more flavor depth to your meal.
- Start off with an Appetizer Tree to really impress your guests.
- Keep your oven free by making Honey Mustard Glazed Ham as your main dish in the crock pot!
TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH BACON RECIPE
You can print off the complete ingredients and instructions for this delicious twice baked sweet potato casserole via the recipe card below.
Twice Baked Sweet Potato Casserole (with BACON)
- 6 pounds sweet potatoes scrubbed and pierced
- 10 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup pecans chopped
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, bake the sweet potatoes for 1 ½ hours or until they are tender. Cool the sweet potatoes so they can be handled safely.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and place the sweet potato pulp in a large bowl.
- Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mash the sweet potatoes with a potato masher. Combine the bacon (reserving 2 tablespoons for topping), sour cream, 1/4 cup butter, salt, and pepper with the mashed sweet potato until well blended.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, place the potato mixture in the prepared casserole dish,forming tight rows.
- Mix the bread crumbs with 1 tablespoon of melted butter in a small bowl and sprinkle the topping evenly over the top of the potatoes. Drop the bacon pieces and chopped pecans over the top.
- Place the baking dish in the oven, uncovered and bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated and the bread crumbs are beginning to get lightly browned.
Be sure to PIN this for later and SHARE on Facebook. If you loved the recipe PLEASE leave a 5-star rating!